Benefits of Lap Band Revision Surgery by Dr. Feiz
The Lap Band is considered a very safe and effective weight loss method. Dr. Michael Feiz, M.D., FACS and his team of medical professionals have had enormous success helping patients lose weight with this approach. But sometimes, patients need a lap band revision surgery. This may occur if the patient is not losing weight or is experiencing physical symptoms due to the lap band slipping or eroding.
When a patient agrees to get the revision surgery, many times they will end up going from a band to sleeve operation. This way, the patient will not be susceptible to similar infections or reactions he had to the lap band and instead will benefit from the various advantages of a gastric sleeve surgery.
Advantages of a gastric sleeve operation include:
· Intermediate initial weight loss
- Less frequent follow-up required
- No implant required
- Laparoscopic approach is possible
- Removes part of the stomach that produces Grehlin (hunger hormone)
In some cases, patients are advised, or choose to conserve the lap band vs. sleeve. There are many advantages to taking this route as well:
- Lower short-term mortality rate than gastric bypass
- Minimally invasive surgical approach
- No stomach stapling or cutting, or intestinal rerouting
- Lower operative complication rate than with gastric bypass
- Low malnutrition risk
Patients will probably never be thrilled to know another procedure is in order, but Dr. Feiz and his team keep their patients informed, and have their best interest at heart. Their reputation for achieving excellent results precedes them as patients from around Southern California turn to them for bariatric procedures of all kinds. Schedule a consultation, or call today if you have any questions about any of these procedures.